Wednesday 8 January 2014

Moving North

Read about Anne Rennie's experiences of moving to the North of Scotland for her GP training.

"I moved to Inverness in August for my GP training and being only 5 months into it I wouldn't change a thing! 

Initially, adapting to life in a much smaller city was difficult, especially being in a GP practice for my first rotation as there were only 2 other trainees. However, it didn't take long for me to feel part of the team at the practice and to meet other trainees at the local education days. Everyone is very friendly in this part of the world! 


"I think the most obvious difference in the training I’m receiving here than in my previous jobs has been the quality of trainers and amount of effort they put in to guide and support you through the steep learning curve that is a 3 year GP training programme. The educational sessions within the practice are very well organised and there is a regular opportunity to meet up with other trainees to discuss difficulties and challenges. My GP training so far has been much more difficult than I expected but I feel that I have been supported sufficiently in order to tackle these challenges effectively.


One of my highlights has to be my OOH experience with the ambulance crew, zooming around country roads in the highlands at 90mph in the back of a blue light ambulance! Getting the opportunity to interact with other members of the health profession has really shown me the importance of team work and has helped me to see things from other people’s perspectives. Who’d have thought that the ambulance dispatch crew know which GPs are polite?! I really valued these OOH sessions. 

A  fellow GPST1 who works in Aviemore was telling me how her practice covers RTAs on the A9, a very busy and dangerous main road between Inverness and Perth. On one occasion all of the GPs in the practice had to leave the surgery to attend an RTA. There would be no chance of becoming ‘deskilled’ in a place like that. Such a variety in one day without even being a ‘rural’ GP. 

Outside of work there are 101 things to keep me busy. I’ve joined the local volleyball club. Short shorts seem to be attire for volleyball the world over…even in the snow in Inverness! The Nairn highland games were great too – such beautiful views for my first half marathon. My husband is especially enjoying the wide variety of local ales.

I definitely don’t think I would have received such high quality GP training if I had gone any where else. I’ve been in touch with friends who are in other parts of the UK for their GP training and they would agree. And it is such a beautiful part of the world. I’m looking forward to exploring Sandwood Bay in the New Year - one of the top beaches in the world! And the skiing season has just started…"


Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment