Friday 25 April 2014

Life On The Caledonian Program. Jess Ledingham



Jess Ledingham is in the first year of the Caledonian program having first moved up to Elgin as an FY2.  Here is her take on her experiences in Elgin.


When I first found out I was coming to Elgin as an FY2 I remember thinking 'oh well at least it's only for a year'. How things have changed! 18months on I've bought a house in this beautiful part of Scotland and can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else.


I was first drawn in by the friendly district general hospital, Dr Gray's. Having studied and spent my FY1 year in Aberdeen I was used to an enormous hospital where everyone has their head down just trying to get through the day. I was struck in Elgin by the friendly attitude of all the staff, it really feels like a team with everyone from the nurses to the porters to the admin staff working together and having fun while they're at it. During my Attachment to A&E there were numerous nights out planned and even team building weekends away...camping on the west coast.

There were numerous things which appealed to me about the caledonia programme. I was drawn to the idea of spending three years in one place..all medics will know the exhausting task of packing up your life every 4months and starting somewhere new. I was a bit over that. Now I know I'm here to stay I have joined local groups such as the kayaking club and a ladies mountain biking club and have made some great like minded friends.


The weather up here is fantastic. Check it out the next time you watch the weather, there is almost always a glorious sunshine over the coastline of Moray, sheltered in the rain shadow of the cairngorms.
That's another great thing about the area..our proximity to some outstanding areas of natural beauty and a playground for those of you who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle. Within a short drive of my house I can paddle the Findhorn river, seakayak along the coast with caves to explore, mountainbike at local trails centres, climb in the cairngorms..I could go on but you get the point!

You may have realised by now that I am a work to live kind of person. However, the job itself is great too. I am currently working in Lossiemouth medical centre and am lucky enough to be going back to the same practice in ST3. I feel I am given freedom to try and find my feet as a GP all the while supported by the practice and encouraged to explore my own interests and develop practical skills. 

Also, don't be put off by how far away it looks on the map, we have an airport in Inverness with direct flights to London or Amsterdam from where you can get practically anywhere. Elgin itself although small has a cinema, plenty shops and bars and restaurants to become acquainted with.

So why not give Elgin a try?  We have posts in both our 3 and 4 year Caledonian programs in Round 2 of recruitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment